Saturday, November 17, 2012

Shepherd and Sheep

 Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me"
John 10:14
Ich bin der gute Hirte. Ich kenne meine Schafe, und meine Schafe kennen mich"
John 10,14

The Shepherd and sheep analogy is one of my favorite in the Bible. The fact that Jesus is our good Shepherd who guides us, leads us, and protects us is so reassuring and comforting. Recently, this analogy has been popping up everywhere. My students are memorizing Psalm 23 in German AND English. Our verse this week has been John 10:14. The students made tiny sheep with Bible verses on them and put real wool on them. (Pictured below). These passages have been coming up during my own Bible study time.

As I am reminded that Jesus is my shepherd I also feel as though I am shepherding these 23 sheep/students. They look to me for guidance, help, and direction. I have been entrusted to lead them in the right way and teach them truth. With this great and sacred responsibility I know that I need to keep my eyes focused on the true and best Shepherd so that I can be a model of Jesus' love for my students as well.

The other day Katharina, my partner teacher, and I lost track of time and forgot to pick our students up from P.E./Gym class. The students came back into the room bubbly, telling us stories, and happy to be back with their teachers. I looked at Katharina and said, "The good little sheep know their shepherds!" They always come back.
What a joy to shepherd these kids knowing that Jesus Christ shepherds us all!

Holding their little sheep craft!
You can click on the picture to make it bigger!

 

1 comment: