Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Martinstag

November 11th is a special day in most parts of the world. While many countries are celebrating Veteran's Day or Remembrance Day, here in Germany people are celebrating St. Martin's Day or Martinstag. 

St. Martin's Day is a day to remember St. Martin, a famous European Saint who became a monk and gave to the poor. He is known for giving his cloak to a beggar and saving him from the cold of night. That puts it quite simply, but is the story in summary!

St. Martin's Day continues to be celebrated in different ways. I got a taste of how it is celebrated in this part of Germany. This year was my first time participating in a lantern parade with parents and students from our community. In school this fall we made special lanterns with our students. Many of the students have these special handmade lanterns from Kindergarten as well and now have several lanterns they can use every year! 

We met in front of CSK where students and families sing traditional "St. Martin" songs before beginning the parade through the village. Then we began the parade!


I never finished my own lantern in our class and so a student lent me one of hers so that I could carry a lantern as well!



Then, throughout the parade we stopped at different points to sing many St. Martin's Day songs. We had practiced some in school and so I was familiar with many of the songs. Luckily, there were word sheets as well to help!



It was so fun to walk with many of my students and their families throughout the night. Here are some of my fun second grade girls with their handmade lanterns!





After the parade it was back to the front of the school for hot German sausage in rolls and warm punch. We tried to warm our hands in our lanterns and enjoyed time with students and teachers outside of school. 



It's always fun to learn new traditions and to share special memories with great kids and their families!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, that's really cool. I love the pictures. You're adorable, and I miss you and Germany! :)

    ReplyDelete