Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Come and See!

"Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in man's behalf!"
Psalm 66:5

God has done awesome things since I have arrived in Germany. I have really sensed His presence and seen His beauty all around me. Amidst trying to figure out all the logistics of moving here, I know that this is exactly where I'm supposed to be.
This is truly a reflection of the prayers of so many.
Thank you all so much!

Here are some things that I have been up to in the last week since my previous update. The days are busy and are starting to blur together!
I have had orientation every day. Last week was German language and culture training. I must say I could have skipped learning the alphabet and my numbers, but appreciate the hints and tips into the German culture!
Here are some things I learned:
1. Germans are great at recycling! You have to learn their recycling and garbage system and you can reduce your amount of trash VERY significantly!
2. There are quiet hours- after 8pm and from 12-2 every afternoon.
3. There is no air conditioning and it is probably the hottest week of the year in Germany!

Here is a picture of us on a walking scavenger hunt locating important items around our new home in Kandern!

I also have slowly been accumulating items for my apartment and bedroom. In order to do so I have been contacting other staff members who are selling furniture and items, went to a thrift store, and also made a very successful trip to Ikea in Freiburg. Here are some shots of picking out things for my new home:

It says, "Home is the most important place in the world!"
Packing 5 people's things into the van! It all fit :)
Checking out the furniture at a thrift shop!
 On Sunday I went to Hillsong Church in Germany in Konstanz. It was so neat to be able to sing the familiar Hillsong songs in German. I was also really excited about how much I could understand of the sermon which was given in German. The sermon was a good reminder of the importance of rest and the strength that Jesus offers to us each and every day. It was also special that the passage of scripture used was Psalm 23 which I'm trying to memorize in German!
After church, Heather, Brittany, and I went to the Bodensee Therma baths/spa in Konstanz. We got to go swimming in various pools which felt so nice on a hot day! The best part was looking out over the Bodensee with an amazing view of the Alps in the distance. It was the perfect way to spend our Sabbath!
Going to the baths with Brittany and Heather!

What a great way to just relax after a busy, busy week.
 Another amazing excursion was a trip to the top of Hochblauen, a mountain that overlooks sections of Germany, France, and Switzerland with a great view of the Alps! Our God is an amazing Creator who continues to astound me with His beauty. While these pictures fail to capture the splendor of the view, may you be reminded of the Majesty of the Lord!
 
Such a great group of friends. Glad to share these memories with such wonderful people :)


Thanks for following along as I share about my experiences in Germany!

Scripture Art, Bible Verse Art, Faith Based Art, Nehemiah 8:10, 5x8 art print on wood

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Some great adventures already... and more to come! :)

    ReplyDelete