Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Psalm 34:8
It's hard to believe that I have been living in Germny for 6 weeks already and for the hard work, connections, relationships, and experiences I have already been able to have. In the last several weeks I have been able to begin settling into my daily routine. School is in full swing and the systems of the day are beginning to take root. (More about school to come!) I also have had the opportunity to experience some of the unique parts of living in Germany and German culture.
I wanted to share with you a bit more about some aspects of life here!
First, here are a few pictures of my room where I am staying. I live with 3 other girls named Amy, Sammie, and Megan in the second and third floor of a home. We are all teachers at either the middle school or elementary school at BFA. We have a great apartment that is the perfect place to come back to after a long day and to share with some great ladies.
| The one side of my room |
| The view from my window on a lovely day! |
| My bed and desk :) |
I have really enjoyed being able to attend church in German for many of the Sundays that I have been here. Last week, I went with some friends to a church picnic and enjoyed worshipping together outside in the beautiful sunny weather. Afterward, we had some amazing German food and were able to talk with other members of the congregation. I am really hoping to be able to attend German church in the weeks ahead and can already tell that I am able to understand more and more of the German service.
There are many festivals and fun events that take place in Germany during this time of year! It is fun to get to try new things at the different festivals that happen right in our own town or nearby. Here are some that have happened on the last few weekends:
| Budenfest- "festival of the booths" in town with great food and music |
![]() |
| Keramikforum- Ceramic displays in town with amazing pottery by local artists |
![]() |
| Lots of neat pottery to look at! |
| Kürbisfest- "Pumpkin Festival" in a town outside of Basel. So many unique pumpkins and gourds |
| Amazing pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie, and apple juice! |
I've also enjoyed times on the weekend to connect with friends. Basel, Switzerland is the biggest, closest city. It is only about 25 minutes by car or 40 by bus. Going into Basel is a great change of scenery and a fun place to explore. I am thankful for the chances to go and walk around here.
| Sipping tea with Amy |
| Fun friends exploring the Rathaus |
This is just a taste of some of the neat experiences and things I have been able to do.I feel so blessed to be able to settle into the German culture and life here at BFA. Check back soon for updates about life at school!



Hi Rachel. Thanks for the view into your experience. Great photos. Looking forward to the next chapter.
ReplyDeleteMike Benton
Rachel!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so awesome to read and see all the awesome things you're doing in Germany. I do hope you continue to have a wonderful time, and that you know God's love is with you every single step of the way. Can't wait to read more!
Love ya sister!
Laura