Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Loving God and Loving Others

"Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'"
Matthew 22:37

Matthew 22:37 has been the memory verse and starting theme this week for grade 2 at Christliche Schule Kandern (CSK). What a great way to start the year! A reminder that our focus needs to be on loving God and also loving others. It is my prayer that the students will continue to learn what it means to love God with their heart, soul, and mind and how to love one another as we develop an atmosphere of love and care in our classroom.
 


Beautifully organized library- so far it's working out great. We'll see how long it lasts!
 School began this Monday. I am co-teaching 2nd grade with Katharina who is fluent in both English and German. It has been absolute delight to work with her thus far. We are a GREAT team. It is so neat how the Lord has paired us up so perfectly. I am so excited to continue to work with her this year. I feel so blessed to have her at my side.

First day of school picture by my nice clean desk! We'll see how long it lasts :)
 Our 24 second graders are full of lots of energy and are eager to learn. I am learning all that it means to teach in a bilingual school. We have 14 native German speakers and 10 native English speakers. I am still figuring out how much of each language the students understand. It is truly amazing how much the students know and how quickly they learn! Some subjects are taught in English and some are taught in German. At times when we are all together we will give directions or read a story in English AND German. I am getting better at translating for the students which is fun! Other times, the students can translate for one another or figure things out by example.

Quiet reading time each day. Everyone was reading quietly!
On Monday the 2nd graders who attended CSK last year performed a play for the incoming 1st graders at "Einshulungsfest." Einschulingsfest is a big celebration in German tradition to celebrate the first day of school. The first grader's extended family comes to the celebration and presents them with a "tute" filled with school supplies and fun treats! It's a big occasion and makes the 1st grader feel very special. And the 2nd graders did a great job reciting their lines in English and German for all the watching guests!

As we begin the routine of school it is so neat to learn and discover the unique personalities within our classroom. I am reminded of how beautifully God has crafted each student to love Him and to love one another. I'm also reminded again and again that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Thank you Lord for providing for me and for this amazing opportunity to love you by loving your children.
 
Scripture Art, Bible Verse Art, Faith Based Art, Mark 9:37, 10x15 art print on wood

5 comments:

  1. Rachel! Your classroom looks so beautiful! I noticed your library and it reminded me of the conversation we had about transporting books. Were you able to bring many with you, or did you buy most of them? It looks fantastic so far :)
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly!- a lot of the books were already in the classroom which was great! I had to limit myself and just bring my favorite read alouds and shoved them all in my carry on! I also thought of you on Monday while I read Frog and Toad to one of the German boys who had never read it before! So fun! He loved it :) Of course!

      Delete
  2. AHHHHHH! So exciting! I am so excited for you. So happy that the first day went well. I know you will continue to do great because you are an amazing teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful--the classroom, your hand in it, and all of His children. :) Bilingual-ness is AWESOME! I know I'm enjoying my practice with Spanish, so I am sure your reveling in all the German!! P.S. I got your card and book...but I can't read it without you! Maybe on Skype tomorrow :) I am glad there are pictures though. :)

    Love you lots! I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope those two little boys yelling WELCOME BACK! in that video are in your class.

    ReplyDelete